We welcome all gender identities and expressions. Please choose the workshop group where you will feel most comfortable.
Empower your child with skills, tools, and perspective that will last a lifetime.
About Power of Me for Girls
Have you noticed any of the following with your daughter?
- Roller-coaster of emotions: One minute she’s on cloud nine, the next she’s totally upset, and you’re wondering ‘What happened?’.
- Low self – confidence: She feels like she isn’t as popular as her friends, good enough to get the job done, capable of excelling in certain areas of her life?
- Changes in mood: She was happy and care-free, but now seems like the weight of the world is on her shoulders, and is less confident in her ability to navigate her reality. She seems to anger easily.
- Ungrateful: nothing seems to be enough.
- Friendships and bullying: she and her friends are having more difficulties in their relationships. There’s more drama.
If you answered ‘Yes’ to any of these, know that it’s a natural part of growing up for girls. But it can be a difficult time for them (and us!) to manage. As parents, we want our daughters to be in control of their emotions. We want them to have healthy relationships with others — including us!
While this time will definitely have ups and downs, know that you can provide your daughter with on-going support, tools, and perspective to help her do the following:
- Understand that her feelings are not wrong. They’re normal.
- Experience a safe space to talk about her feelings, free of judgment, with a guide who cares deeply about her.
- Connect with a community of girls who are experiencing the same emotions, and can relate to her.
- Experience education, fitness and mindfulness with other girls who are her age.
Here’s what Power of Me Memberships offer:
Monthly 2-hour workshops throughout the school year
Topics include goal setting, exploring emotions, puberty, healthy relationships, and more.
All workshops include yoga, stress management techniques, and mindful snack.
Power of Me Tools and Swag
Power of Me T-shirt
Power of Me Workbook
Your child will connect with other same-age peers experiencing similar _____
Additional new offerings for members:
Monthly emails with information on monthly topics and tips for family connection
FREE classes and opportunities for Power of Me families
Discounts on a variety of classes and services
December holiday party for POM members
The cost for membership is $35/month. Individual workshops $45/month.vi
dual workshops are $45 each.
We’d love to have you join us!
Minneapolis – Sundays
Grades 4-8, Time: 1-3 pm
Power of Me Minneapolis
Saint Paul – Sundays
Grades 4-5, Time:1-3 pm
Grades 6-8, Time: 3:15-5:15 pm
Power of Me St. Paul
Example Workshop Topics:
Body Image and Self Worth
Participants will have the opportunity to explore different fitness options for them. We know that not everyone is interested in running, biking, swimming, kickboxing, etc. But we do know that EVERYONE needs to move their body. If your child is over the age of 10, they should be exercising at least 60 minutes a day.
We’ll explore the benefits of physical activity – surrounding all areas of wellness (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social). There will be some talk about the elements of physical fitness and different types of exercise (aerobic and anaerobic). We will even measure our own balance, flexibility, and strength by participating in a health lab!
Friendships can be difficult in middle school. By this time in the year, many kids will have begun to understand some of these struggles. In this workshop, we talk about healthy and unhealthy relationships, power and control with teens, and respect in relationships.
This workshop will be guided by the girls and facilitated by the instructor.
Self-Defense & Personal Safety
This workshop takes place in February. Knowing that March is the start of testing for most schools, February is the perfect time to work on managing our stress. Participants will learn about stress and how it affects the body, stressors, and positive/negative ways to deal with stress.
We will look at the brain and what the brain and body do in stressful situations. Finally, we come up with and experiencing different strategies for managing stress.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if the Power of Me is right for my child?
The Power of Me was developed to be valuable to all participants in grades 4-8, regardless of ability level. Katie Thune, M.A. Ed, the founder of Mad Hatter Yoga & Wellness, who developed the Power of Me series, has worked for over 10 years as a school teacher. In this time she has also done extensive Special Ed work. Anna Hayek, BA Ed., teacher for the Power of Me, has worked as an EL teacher for over 10 years. She has done extensive work with English Language Learners during her years as a school teacher. In short, the Power of Me is perfect for everyone.